January 26, 2016

Hard Drive Space and Corrupt Revit Files


Working in software development for Ideate Software, it is common for me to get my computer into strange states. Recently I managed to consume all my hard drive space with my virtual memory and I ran into a curious situation in Revit. When I attempted to open a Revit file, Revit told me that the file was corrupt and could not be opened. 

Now this was a file that I had been actively working on. Panicked, I attempted to open another file which Revit also stated was corrupt. I then decided it was too dangerous to open any more files and stepped away from the computer.

After taking a deep breath, I started to do some digging and I found that I had used all the space on my small C: drive. In particular it was being consumed by the page file for my virtual memory. I managed the virtual memory settings to move the cache to my much larger D: drive and rebooted my system.

Now with my C: drive no longer at capacity I opened the Revit files again. Magically they were no longer being reported as corrupt.

The lesson of the story is that Revit will not tell you that you have run out of space on your computer. If a Revit file is being reported as corrupt, especially on a specific computer, take a look at how much space there is on the computer first, then panic second.
 

 
Thank you for reading. For more information on Revit and other Autodesk products, and information on training and consulting for the various products Ideate services, visit our website at www.ideateinc.com.



 

Software Engineer

Jesika received her Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Oregon in Eugene where she also spent time studying advanced math. Her work experience includes Junior Designer at an award-winning firm specializing in architecture and land planning, and Intern Architect at a firm that provides services in planning, design, construction documents and construction administration for projects of all sizes. After working in architecture design for several years, Jesika decided to pursue her interest in programming and her love of efficient systems. She now serves as a Software Team Lead for Ideate Software.